You know many facts that you need in your real life, right? On the other side, many facts are useless. But it’s still interesting to know them. And that is why we made a list of fun useless facts for you.
Let’s admit, it’s not completely useless knowing these facts. We always can be the smart one of the group.
Welcome to the Irrelevant Knowledge 101 (it’s literally 101). Let’s check the facts:
Useless Science Facts
1. If we ever find the end of the Pi number, according to some scientists, that’ll mean we live in the simulation.
2. Dying stars caused that space smells like a combination of diesel fuel and barbecue, according to astronauts.
3. The infinity sign has the name, and it’s lemniscate.
4. Space travel makes mice run in loops.
5. The Eiffel Tower can “grow” to 15 cm during the summer.
6. About 20% of Earth’s oxygen is produced by the Amazon rainforest.
7. A teaspoonful of neutron star would weigh 6 billion tons.
8. Hawaii moves 7.5cm closer to Alaska every year.
9. Life on Earth won’t exist in 2.3 billion years because it will be too hot for it.
Useless Music Facts
10. Finland has the most metal bands per capita, with 53.5 metal bands per 100,000 people.
11. According to research, fans of classical music and those who love heavy metal have similar personalities.
12. The chills you get when you listen to music are caused by your brain releasing dopamine, a neurotransmitter that causes pleasure. The brain releases these same feel-good hormones during sex and eating too.
13. There’s music made especially for cats. It seems like cats develop their musical taste soon after they’re born.
14. Music, classical in particular, can help make plants grow faster, according to a 2007 study.
15. One in five country music songs refers to alcohol, one in three to tears, and one in seven to “mama”.
Useless Animals Facts
16. If you lift a kangaroo’s tail off the ground, it can’t jump.
17. It would take a sloth one month to travel for one mile.
18. But, sloths can hold their breath for longer than dolphins. They can hold their breath for up to 40 seconds.
19. A snail can sleep for more than three years at a time.
20. Komodo dragons can reproduce sexually and asexually.
21. Tyrannosaurus rex probably didn’t roar but hissed or rattled. At least scientists think so.
22. Playing electronic dance music can help ward off mosquitoes.
23. Dragonflies have six legs but can’t walk, because their legs are too weak.
24. A frigate bird can sleep while it flies.
25. A pig’s orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
26. The only breed that can’t bark at all is Basenji dogs.
27. Bees have 5 eyes, 3 small eyes on the top of a bee’s head, and 2 larger ones in front.
Useless Food Facts
28. Bananas are very effective in replenishing electrolytes. They also have chemicals that help you feel happy.
29. It’s possible to turn peanut butter into diamonds, and one man accomplished it.
30. A Greek-Canadian man invented the “Hawaiian” pizza (pizza with pineapple).
31. Coca-Cola would be green if there wasn’t coloring.
32. Honey is one of the best cough suppressants.
33. There are only two countries in the world where you can’t buy Coca Cola – Cuba and North Korea.
34. There was a lawsuit that took place trying to prove that Pringles aren’t actually potato chips.
35. The inventor of Pringles is actually buried in a Pringles can.
36. The largest scrambled eggs ever made weighed nearly 3.5 tons.
37. Carrots were originally purple.
Useless People Facts
38. During an average lifespan, a person produces enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
39. Simply taking just 1 step uses over 200 muscles in the body.
40. Your feet contain one-quarter of the bones in your body.
41. The human body contains about 100,000 miles of blood vessels.
42. The 2017 study found out that an average adult spends more time on the toilet than they do exercising.
43. 56 percent of internet users have googled themselves.
44. People used to answer the phone by saying “ahoy” instead of “hello” because Alexander Graham Bell thought it sounds better.
45. You are 13.8 % more likely to die on your birthday, than any other day.
46. The average person spends 6 months of their lifetime waiting on a traffic light.
47. 10% of the World’s population is left-handed.
48. And every year more than 2,500 left-handed people are killed from using right-handed products.
49. The average person walks the equivalent of 5 laps around the world during their lifetime.
50. Researchers have determined it takes 6 minutes for alcohol to impact human brain cells.
51. If you open your eyes in a pitch-black room, you’ll see the color. This color is called “eigengrau”.
52. Only 2 percent of the population has green eyes.
53. Redhead with blue eyes is the rarest color combination of all for human beings.
54. The life expectancy of a human eyelash is 150 days.
55. More than two-thirds of millennials sleep nude.
56. The average person, older than 10 years, has four to six dreams a night.
Useless History Facts
57. During World War II, Oscars were made of painted plaster due to the metal shortage. It was done for three years.
58. Barbed wire was invented in 1845. That was responsible for putting cowboys out of business since it provided cheap and easy fencing.
59. The first written instance of “OMG” that we know of was in a letter to Winston Churchill in 1917.
60. Pablo Picasso carried a revolver loaded with blanks, which he would fire at whoever asked him what his work “meant.”
61. Ernest Wright’s 1939 novel Gadsby does not contain the letter “e.”
62. The designer of the Eiffel Tower built an apartment in the tower itself, but he didn’t live there. Instead, he used it to entertain guests.
63. Bluetooth is actually named after 10-th century Scandinavian king Harald “Bluetooth” Gormsson.
Other Useless Facts
64. Pirates wore eye patches so their eye would always be acclimated to the darkness, allowing them to see in the darkness below decks in an instant.
65. There is a greater chance for you to die on the way to get lottery tickets than your chance of winning.
66. The number of countries with right-hand traffic is actually three times bigger than countries with left-hand traffic. 141 countries use RHT and 54 use LHT on roads in general.
67. Oscars or the Academy Award was starter because its founder Mayer wanted to have bigger control over the film industry. He said: “I found that the best way to handle [filmmakers] was to hang medals all over them … If I got them cups and awards, they’d kill them to produce what I wanted. That’s why the Academy Award was created.”
68. The Hawaiian language only has twelve consonants and five vowels.
69. A month meditation course will cause changes in the brain which can decrease emotions like fear. Also, it could improve awareness, concentration, and decision-making.
70. Queen Elizabeth visited the set of Game of Thrones, and she refused to sit on the iron throne. She did it because she is not allowed to sit on foreign thrones.
71. The microwave was invented by accident. Engineer Percy Spencer walked by a radar set and the candy bar in his pocket melted.
72. Just 23% of released prisoners stay out of prison.
73. The first 72 hours after a person is booked into jail is when they’re at the highest risk of death.
74. Every continent except Antarctica has a city called Rome.
75. In China, rich people hire body doubles to serve their prison sentences.
76. The opposite sides of dice will always add up to seven.
77. Mulan has the highest kill-count of any Disney character, with about 2,000 killed people.
78. There’s a trademark on the world’s darkest shade of black, called vantablack.
79. The real name of Monopoly mascot Uncle Pennybags is Milburn Pennybags.
80. And the official name of the police officer in Monopoly is Officer Edgar Mallory.
81. Dr. Seuss invented the word “nerd” in his 1950 book If I Ran The Zoo.
82. The first email was sent by Ray Tomlinson to himself in 1971, and it was most likely something like “QWERTYUIOP.”
83. Australia’s second most populated state says it illegal to change a light bulb unless you are a licensed electrician.
84. Movie trailers got their name because they were originally shown after the movie.
85. Sony’s first product was the electrical rice cooker.
86. One man set a world record by putting on 260 T-shirts at once and beat his own record of 257 shirts.
87. Ravens know when someone is spying on them.
88. Frank Sinatra was offered the starring role in Die Hard. He was in his 70s then.
89. Sleeping through summer is called “estivation” and it’s common for snakes, turtles, crocodiles, and salamanders.
90. The most common password in 2020 is “123456”, followed by “123456789”, “qwerty” and the famous “password.”
91. Marie Curie’s 100-year-old belongings are still radioactive, including her clothes, furniture, laboratory notes.
92. The very first internet meme went viral in 1996, and it’s known as Baby Cha-Cha-Cha.
93. And as the first meme ever is considered sketch from 1921!
94. The oldest representations of Satan in early Christian art showed him blue.
95. Queen Elizabeth II’s cows sleep on waterbeds.
96. A 1950 journalist predicted that women in the 2000s would be amazons like Wonder Woman.
97. The chicken came before the egg, according to the Bible.
98. Antarctica is the largest unclaimed territory on Earth.
99. The name Wendy was made up for the book “Peter Pan.”
10. Barbie’s full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
101. Barbie and her boyfriend Ken broke up in 2004, but they got together again in 2011.
Congratulations! You’re richer for 101 irrelevant useless facts now!